Member Login



Where It All Began:

The history of Killeen Castle dates back over eight hundred years to 1181, when it was built by Hugh de Lacy as part of the strategic castle defence system for north Leinster.


Plunkett Family:

From 1403 until the 1950's, the castle acted as the seat of the Plunkett family, Earls of Fingall, amongst the oldest of the great Anglo-Irish families. From the late seventeenth to the late eighteenth centuries, Killeen Castle became dilapidated, due to the enforced absence of the Earls following the various uprisings and national unrest.



In the early nineteenth century the 8th and 9th Earls engaged renowned architects, Francis Johnson and then James Sheil to modernise the castle creating the design for the building which stands today.


Stud Farm

The 12th and last Earl of Fingall sold the Castle in 1951 and the estate was then run by its owners as a stud farm.


Destructive Fire

In 1981 Killeen Castle fell victim to fire, and lay dormant and in ruins until 1997.


New Lease Of Life

With a vision to create the magnificent estate that exists today, the current owners  purchased the castle and its grounds and began the journey to create one of Ireland's finest golf resorts. 


Golfing Royalty Opens Killeen Castle For Play

After more than a decade of tireless effort the first round of golf is played at Killeen Castle in the summer of 2008 by course designer and legend of the game, Jack Nicklaus.